July 30, 2020
Two weeks from today on Thursday, Aug 13, all Canadian Staff and Students will be returning to school to kick-off the 2020-21 school year. I know many are feeling anxious about the unknowns, and hopefully this communication, will help to fill in some missing information. As we begin the new school year, we are working diligently to provide a safe learning environment for our students. The information provided in this correspondence is not intended to be all inclusive, but a basis to understanding how school will look in the first few days.
Please be assured that we will follow the Oklahoma School Safety Protocols released by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. Based upon the linked guidance, and current day COVID-19 data, Pittsburg County is under a Yellow Level classification. This level allows for our plan to return to school, and we have given our Teachers and Staff the option to wear masks when in close proximity to others. For Yellow Level designation, following OK SDE guidelines, we recommend that students in grades 4th-12th wear a mask, and we will have a free cloth mask available for all students and staff once school starts. Additionally, all students transported on an AM and/or PM bus route will be screened for COVID-19, assigned a seat daily, and all windows on the bus will remain down when a student is on the bus. Based on the color coding system, this could change in the future if Pittsburg County if the designation color level changes.
The Administration, Teachers and Staff look forward to our continued relationship with your child(ren) and your family as we work together to provide the best possible learning path for all of our students. It is important to note that our efforts to support virtual or remote learning this year will be significantly different than anything experienced in the Spring. With that said, we hope that an elevated level of patience and understanding will be extended to all of our Canadian School’s Family as we are working through circumstances that no one has ever experienced.
The following information is an outline of Canadian Public School’s Covid-19 Procedures for the return to school:
Back to School Night Due to the unprecedented nature of things currently, we are not going to have a big back to school night like we have past years. You are free to schedule meetings with your students’ teachers beginning August 7 from 9 am-2pm. We plan to schedule a smaller parent-teacher conference event at the end of August or the first of September. We will publicize this as soon as it is scheduled.
First Day of School Procedures: Parents may walk their child into the classroom on the first two days of school (Aug 13-14) if needed, but the parent must wear a mask.
· Drop-off Procedures: Starting on Monday, Aug 17, parents will not be admitted to the buildings/classroom and will be asked to follow the following drop off procedures for screening and entry to the classroom:
· 3 year old-12th Grade will enter by the front doors of the High School office for screening and temperature checks.
· All late arrivals will need to check in at the High School Office.
· Parents may check in at each office as needed to speak to the office staff and/or Principal only.
· All busses will be assigned seats ONLY and students will be screened for COVID-19 prior to getting on bus. All windows will be down when students are present on the bus to increase air circulation and parents are encouraged to transport their students to/from school if your schedule would allow.
· Parents will be encouraged to complete a daily log indicating temperature check/home health monitoring to assess daily health of children in the home prior to sending students to school. Hard copies of this form will be sent home on the first day of school.
· All classrooms will have access to a temperature wand. Every staff member and student will have access to at least one cloth mask. Certain teachers will also be given plastic face shields to be utilized to maintain the health of our staff and students.
· Hand sanitizer will be available at entrances and additional supplies may allow hand sanitizer to also be in every classroom.
· Fogging equipment and classroom disinfectant will be used throughout the school and on busses on a daily schedule.
· Water fountains will be used for filling water bottles only, and not for drinking. Students will need to supply their own water bottle. The District is in the process of adding bottle filling stations.
Additionally, if anyone in the student’s home has traveled to a known hot spot within 14 days of school starting please notify the building Principal. The building Principal will review the information shared to determine your individual requirements for returning to school. Mrs. Gragg, Elem Principal at 918.339.2705 or Mr. Box, HS Principal at 539.664.8188
I know that this is a tremendous amount of information to take into consideration through a back to school letter, but we feel it important to provide you with a detailed outline of what we are doing to safely start school during this Covid-19 Pandemic. Please contact me at 539.777.0933 or your building Principal if you have any questions or concerns.